TOPIC : NETWORK & INTERNET
Define Computer Networks
1.0 : Network :
is any method of sharing information between two systems (human or mechanical).
consists of two or more computers that are linked in order to share resources (such as printers and CD-ROMs), exchange files, or allow electronic communications.
The computers on a network may be linked through cables, telephone lines, radio waves, satellites, or infrared light beams.
Define Communications :
transfer of communication from a sender across a distance to a receiver
-What are being transmitted
- electricity, radio waves or light,
information and data in the form of codes
- information such as texts, voice, spund,
video, graphic, images or combination of
any two or more
-what are the medium
Benefits of Computer Networks :
*handle transactions like account management, fund transfer and payment over the internet
*transaction can be done at home or from the office
-Long Distance Communication
*communication via texts, voice pr video
*cost cheaper than normal telephone calls
*decision can be made through video
Conducting bussinness on the internet
Payment is normally via credit card
Students at any location can participate in an on-line classroom, downloading tutorial questions and submitting assignment
- Sharing devices
- Sharing data and information
- Sharing internet access
COMPUTER NETWORK DEVICES :
- Network devices – is any type of hardware capable of transmitting data, instructions and information between a sending and receiving device.
- Examples of network devices :
- NIC (Network Interface Card)
- Wireless Network Interface Card
- Internal Modem
- External Modem
- Wireless AP (Access Point)
TYPES OF COMPUTER NETWORK.:
There are 3 types of computer networks :LAN (Local Area Network)
MAN (Metropolitan Area Network)
WAN (Wide Area Network)
LAN : covers a small region of space typically a single building, schools or at home.
- limited geographical area
- often share resources such as printers
- often connected via cable
MAN : connects LANs in city or town- a connection of LANs with the same geographically area for instant a city
- if long distance, use fibre optic cable for best connection
WAN : a collection of LANs or MANs or both. A very large geographical area for instant a country or beyond the border.- cover a large geographic area
- using a communication channel
- combine any types of media such as telephone lines
- consist of two or more LAN/MAN connected together
- world’s largest WAN is internet
2.0 : INTERNET ?
Advantages of Internet :
1. Can get more information
2. Can get information faster.
3. No need to spend money to get information.
4. Can get latest news / information.
5. Can complete task easier.
6. Can access information all around the world.
7. Can make long distance communication - text, voice, video communication.
9. Video conferencing.Disadvantages of Internet :
1. Wasting time
2. Wasting money
3. Internet will make students forget to study
4. Pornography - students are not allow to access
5. Not enough security.
6. Virus can attack any time.
7. Can involve in social problem
REQUIREMENTS TO ACCESS INTERNET :
- Modem (internal / external)
- Access account
- NIC (Network Interface Card)
- Wireless NIC
- Hub / Switch
- WAP (Wireless Access Point)